Our Baby & You Courses are specially tailored for parents with children 0-4 months old.
These are run by an exceptional team of professional speakers from local businesses, supported by our Baby & You Facilitator and a host. They cover the exciting yet challenging early months of parenthood; feeding and sleeping, infant care and challenges, baby massage and much more. Each course is 5 weeks long and held on a Thursday morning (1030-1230) in Nelson (Annesbrook Church, Stoke).
Course classes are kept small and both parents are welcome along with the new baby/babies. Our Baby & You courses are a great way to make friends with people who have babies of the same age, to share experiences and gain support. The formation of parent support networks are encouraged (eg; coffee groups!).
The overview below outlines the scheduled speakers for each session during the course. Please note that on occasion the speakers may change sessions, depending on their availability. The courses do generally follow the schedule below.
- Introduction – Baby & You Facilitator – Kellie Todd
- Knowing your baby and keeping them healthy and safe – Charge Nurse Manager, Special Care Baby Unit (SCBU), NMDHB – Maureen Higgs
- Feeding and Sleeping – Karitane Nurse – Julia De Weck
- Baby Wearing – Baby Wearing Nelson
- Baby Massage – Ruth Duffield
- Personal Fitness with Nicole Shand – Sport Tasman
- Postnatal Distress – Postnatal Support Nelson
- Baby’s physical development – Paediatric Physiotherapist – Lucy Pearson
- Loren Griffin – Photographer to do mini shoots with babies and parents (optional).
- Final day shared lunch
We often find that a lot of parents worry about their baby/babies being unsettled in a group situation. The Baby & You course is run in a relaxed and supportive atmosphere where you can feed, jiggle, rock or do whatever it takes to settle your baby/babies. There is also a Parents Centre volunteer with a willing pair of hands to hold your baby/babies for you if you need a break!
Our course locations typically have a kitchen with a microwave and hot water if you need to use these facilities. There is also often a change table available. We provide a hot drink and a snack during the break time in all of our courses.
Baby & You Courses 2018
The courses are currently $30 for members and $40 for non-members.
To book please contact: Annastashia